Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Politics

So, the election is over. I am relieved in some ways. It gets so ugly in the last few weeks before an election, doesn't it? But what happens now with the newly elected? Are they really going to do the things they claim? And how will that affect our country?

When it comes to politicians, I think there are 3 types of policies to consider: social, international, and economic. I'm sure no one would be surprised to hear that I am a social conservative. I am not that well versed with international issues, so I can't form a strong opinion there. But when it comes to economics, I'm obsessed. I guess it comes from my educational background... business. I wish I could study it more.

So, with that said, I am willing to predict a bad economic downturn somewhere in the not too distant future. I base this on one principle: you have to work to earn. It doesn't sound that crazy, does it? Even if you are on welfare, someone had to work to earn that assistance you are receiving, right? Last time I checked, money didn't grow on trees, not even for the United States government (oh wait, we can just print more... oh, shoot, that causes inflation). I will concede that there are people who can't work, and they should be helped. But has anyone noticed an attitude of entitlement going around? I actually saw someone at an Obama rally say "Now I won't have to pay my mortgage, my car payment, etc." Wow, seriously? This is what has me scared. Is anyone with me? If we have actully gottten to the point where people can only see the trees (their own econmic situation) and not the forest (the United States economy) we are in big trouble.

So that's my little soapbox. Just a little food for thought. It is actually a lot more complicated than that, but I figured it would be too boring to drone on about. I guess we will just have to see how thing turn out as time goes on. I may be wrong, but just in case I'm not, I thought everyone deserved a warning. I'll try to be more cheerful on my next post!

3 comments:

ManicMandee said...

I AGREE!

Anonymous said...

Well said.

Sarah said...

No kidding! I read that Ford wanted to hire 1000 people to build F-150s because they were in demand again - because gas prices have gone down - for now - good luck with that next summer.